Risk factors causing heel spurs pain include jogging or running on hard surfaces, walking barefoot on hard surfaces, badly worn shoes or wearing poorly fitted, spending most of the time on one’s feet, obesity, tight calf muscles, age and diabetes. You can use various natural treatments in order to get relief from the pain. Do you want to know which home remedy will help you treat heel spurs pain? If your answer is “Yes” then you should read this writing. Did you know that there are vitamins and minerals that have been clinically proven to play a part in the health of the components of your feet? Check out this great, free list of vitamins and minerals for heel pain. In some cases, you can access these helpful substances from the foods you eat. In more severe cases, you may wish to take some in supplement form to ensure you’re getting high enough doses to combat a tough health problem.
Home remedies for Heel pain
Applying ice to the heel in a cold compress is one the best ways to relieve heel pain naturally. The cold temperature has a numbing effect that controls pain and inflammation.
Make a cold compress by putting some crushed ice in a plastic bag, then wrapping it in a thin cotton towel. Apply this pack on the painful area for about 15 minutes. Repeat a few times a day or as needed.
Another option is to freeze a bottle of water and roll it over the painful area for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat as needed.
2. Apple cider vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is one of the great home remedies for heel spurs pain. Especially, it provides pain relief, helps pull out excess calcium from the area of a heel spur and reduces inflammation as well. For optimal results, you can use it as follows.
1. Cut out a towel piece in the shape of the foot and next to dip it in apple cider vinegar. Then place this soaked towel in your shoe and lastly, wear it. Make sure to maintain this towel moist throughout the day. You should follow this remedy for at least one week.
2. Alternatively, warm apple cider vinegar (½ cup) in a pan and next to pour it into a small tub filled with warm water. Then immerse your feet in this tub for about 5 to 10 minutes, two times every day for about 1 or 2 weeks.
Massage is another simple, natural treatment for heel pain. While it is not a long-term treatment option, it provides quick relief from pain. Massage also will relax the muscles, release the pressure, reduce the stiffness and improve blood circulation.
You can massage your painful heel any time of the day, and it is recommended particularly before going for a run, after exercising and before going to bed. For massaging, you can use any kind of oil, such as olive, coconut, sesame or mustard oil.
1. Apply some warm oil of your choice on the affected area.
2. Using both of your thumbs, gently apply pressure on the painful area for a few minutes.
3. Massage sole of your foot for 10 minutes.
4. Repeat a few times daily until the pain subsides.
You can do the massage yourself or get help from an expert.
4. Baking soda:
Baking soda is one of the effective home remedies for heel spurs pain. The crystals present in baking soda will help decrease calcium deposits built up on your bottom of the heel bone. Moreover, it also helps reduce inflammation and pain as well. What you need to do:
1. Mix baking soda (½ teaspoon) and a little waterto create a paste. Next to apply the paste on your heel spur and then cover with it with duct tape or gauze. It is recommended to repeat this treatment two times every day for several days.
2. Alternatively, mix baking soda (1 teaspoon) and apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons) in one glass of warm water. You had better consume it once every day for two weeks to balance the pH in your body.
5. Stretching Exercises:
In many cases, stretching exercises can help reduce the pain and promote quick recovery. It evenstrengthens the muscles and tendons in your foot to prevent further pain.
One of the best stretching exercises for heel pain is the “standing wall stretch”.
1. Stand barefoot several feet away from and facing a wall.
2. Using both your hands, press into the wall.
3. Placing one foot forward, slowly lean and feel the stretch along the back of your leg and heel.
4. Hold this position for 30 seconds.
5. Switch sides and repeat.
6. Do it 10 times on each side to get relief from heel pain.
6. Coconut oil:
Coconut oil is also a good treatment for heel spurs pain. Being a natural moisturizing agent, this oil helps relieve pain as well as soften the spur. In addition, it contains calcium which is necessary for healthy bone formation. For instant results, you can use it as follows.
1. Massage the troubled area with warm coconut oil. Allow it on for several hours in order to get relief from inflammation and pain. You should follow this daily before bedtime to prevent discomfort in the morning.
2. Alternatively, you can also take extra-virgin coconut oil (1 tablespoon) every dayin the morning.
7. Epsom Salt Soak:
An Epsom salt soak can bring instant relief from heel pain. The magnesium sulfate crystals help reduce pain, swelling and inflammation. Furthermore, the heat of the warm water promotes relaxation.
1. Mix 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a tub of warm water.
2. Soak your foot in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Pat dry your foot and apply some moisturizer.
4. Gently massage your heel for 5 minutes.
5. Repeat 2 or 3 times a week until the pain is gone completely.
Flaxseed oil has alpha-linolenic acid (a form of omega-3 fatty acid) which can help decrease inflammation and pain. Plus, it can also reduce morning stiffness associated with heel spurs. What you need to do:
1. Heat flaxseed oil (¼ cup) in one pan until it is warm.
2. Dip a cheesecloth piece into the oil.
3. Next to place the cloth over your affected area and then secure it with a plastic piece.
4. Place one heating pad over this plastic for several hours. During this time, you should avoid movement of any kind.
It is suggested to follows this treatment once every day till you get relief from the pain.
Hope this Symptoms and cure article will be helpful to all. Do not forget to share your valuable suggestions if any.